With NZs summers heating up and Jack Frost still nipping at our toes during the winter months, it’s a no brainer that heat pumps are our most efficient and affordable solution.
The question is ‘how do we choose the right heat pump and what to look for?
A unit that is too small won’t cool or heat your space sufficiently and a larger model could be too big & more costly to operate. So it’s important to do a little bit of research before you make a purchase. Here are a few tips to ensure you choose the right heat pump.
1. The first thing to consider is the size of the area you need to heat/cool. Start by measuring the room
2. Is the room insulated? A non-insulated area might require a larger model than an insulated one.
3. Check the units energy efficiency rating. Having a higher star rating uses less electricity, is cheaper to run and better for the environment.
4. Sleep mode: This function adjusts the temperature to a comfortable level for sleeping so the air heat pump doesn’t work as hard (and is quieter) when you’re sleeping.
5. Restart delay: Protects the compressor by preventing the heat pump from starting up again too soon after being switched off.
6. Fan only: Blows air without heating, cooling or drying, which is useful when all you want is a cooling breeze.
7. Economy or Eco mode reduces power consumption. Different brands implement this in different ways. It may simply reduce the cooling or heating output by adjusting the thermostat a degree or two, or it may use sensors to detect if no one is in the room and then reduce the cooling/heating.
8. Newer models have the benefit of being controlled by an app on your smart phone allowing you to turn it on before you get homes.
9. Some units have a self cleaning function that can reduce the build up of dirt, mould, fungi and bacteria.
10. Once your heat pump is installed, clean your filters regularly and have your unit professionally cleaned & sanitized every 12 months. This ensures your warranty is maintained.